Saturday 26 February 2011

17 Weeks Out

Well...here we are...starting on Monday 28th February 2011 I will be 17 weeks away from entering my first Ultra Marathon distance event (only just as this is defined as any distance over the 26.2 mile marathon and the South Downs event im running is 28 miles..but in my book thats good enough for starters!)

I will aim to post on the blog at least once per week and try not to bore you rigid with pages of weather conditions and energy gels but more about explaining what it takes both mentally and physically to prepare for such an event.

How did this all come about you might ask???...well...two months ago a good friend from school contacted me asking for some advice as they wanted to enter the 2012 London Marathon and had previously had their ears bashed by me about how amazing an experience it was (ran mine in 2002) and we have kind of pencilled it in that we will both enter the race next year.
Over the last 4-5 years I have been chomping at the bit for a challenge and have considered entering either another marathon, ultra event or an adventure race with mud, obstacles, loonies etc..then on further inspection I found there were loads of these to choose from including an adventure race called 'The Spartan Challenge' in Cambridge this July..coerced a couple of friends to join me and we all entered online...a challenge to train for at last!!...(see below for said loonies and fire)

Then this got me thinking...3 miles through bogs, rivers, burning hay and barbed wire sounds like fun but will it push me to my limits and be tougher than running a marathon...probably not..so after a bit of Googling..came across an event over the Sussex South Downs organised by a walking group called 'Long Distance Walkers Association' who hold an annual 28 mile event for walkers and runners alike..this fitted into the Ultra category I was seeking...so BOOM!..I took the challenge, posted the entry and here I am.......

Training wise I am splitting my preparation up into 4 x 4 week blocks and tweaking my programme as needed every fortnight, basing my sessions around easy recovery runs, core and leg strength conditioning in the gym, hill work and one long run which will increase in time and distance each week...initially 4 training sessions a week rising to 6 per week as the event date gets nearer - reading an Ultra training schedule I see that by May my long run may need to be around 4-5 hours in length!!! GULP!!

To fuel my training and drop some much needed bodyweight for tackling the unforgiving gradients of the South Downs I am focusing my nutrition on clean complex carbohydrates - lots of porridge, brown rice, sweet potatoes, lean protein initially in the form of fish, chicken and turkey and lots of dark green leafy vegetables and fibrous carbs like broccoli and swede - moving away from my lovely but detrimental Costa coffee habit is a must as is upping my water intake...I also plan to experiment again with some Raw vegan foods and juicing as these have proven to be the optimum way to fuel myself from past experience and maintain high energy levels through a full supply of quality nutrients and eliminating processed foods for a time...more on that in future blogs.

For now its head down, arse up and building on my fitness base in a careful way not to get injured from over exuberance (im not known for doing goal orientated stuff in half measures) ;-)

I am also aiming to raise some money towards our local Neo Natal baby unit in the Rosie Hospital section of Addenbrookes who were pivotal in the caring of our son George when he was born in 2007 with a rare stomach condition called Gastroscisis and needed an operation at birth and 2 weeks in intensive/special care so anything I can raise will be donated to this much needed, valuable cause.

enjoy the blog and thanks for the interest and support.

Paul

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,

    As a enthusiastic participant of the LDWA events, I reckon you will enjoy this event.

    I did around 10 of them last year, and thoroughly enjoyed them.

    Good luck with the training, and if you fancy something more hardcore pop over to Shropshire for the 50mile Longmynd Hike in October.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ross, i'll bear it in mind...I have already been invited to run in a local event in september 4 marathons in 4 consecutive days so think i'll be tied up with that and if not ive also been challenged to take up natural bodybuilding so this may swerve my training in a different direction but thanks for the heads up mate! Paul

    ReplyDelete